Sunday, August 2, 2009

I Wish

I wish I had less hair.
Someday I will probably regret that statement. But for now, come on. I have an afro. It's gotten thicker and curlier with every baby I've birthed. I'm probably the only woman in the world who is thrilled to pull out those handfuls of post-partum hair in the shower. I should be thankful I have hair and I am. I'm trying to embrace my curls. It's just not easy, that's all I'm sayin'. And it's not entirely curly all over. The top layer is perfectly straight with like not even a wave. So I end up either trying to pull off wearing it curly by really scrunching the straight part or I flat iron it all of it, which is no fun since (a)I have tons of hair and (b)I have a pretty cruddy flat iron. My latest plan is to purchase a really good flat iron and teach Steve how to use it on my hair. Then my arms won't go numb anymore.

I wish I was a morning person.
Is this attainable? Can you become a morning person? I mean where you actually enjoy getting up early? I can make myself get up when I have to and even when I don't have to. I've set goals to get up early to work out or to go somewhere or whatever and I've stuck with it for awhile. But I don't really like it. I mean I'm okay as the day goes on and I'm glad I did it. I just want to know if I can ever love getting up early in the morning and hop out of my bed giddy with anticipation of what the day will bring. Because if I can, tell me how and I will work on that.

I wish I could run the 4 mile loop by my house without stopping. I could rollerblade it backwards but just don't love running enough to run it. Probably 60% of it is at an incline, some of it fairly steep, but it is entirely doable. I think it probably requires putting on running shoes more than twice a month though. Me + Running = Love/Hate. That means I love the physical benefits (more bang for your buck) but I don't enjoy it as much as other things. Now if you give me a basketball, I'll run up and down the court forever but just plain running is not that fun. I've read about people really learning to love it so I'll just hope for that.

I wish adults only needed like 2 hours of sleep every night while kids still required 10-12. I don't think I need to elaborate on how much more mom's could get done in a 24 hour period. Just that it would be awesome.

I wish my kids did not have to go back to school. I use to think homeschooling would be really, really hard. I still think it would be but now I feel like it's something I could do. I'm not planning on it at this point but I will say I will never rule it out and I would not be surprised if there comes a day that there is no question my kids would benefit more from homeschooling than public school. Just like lots of moms out there, I truly like having my kids home and if I keep hearing about more and more garbage that goes on at school, combined with budget cuts....I just don't know.

I wish I hadn't gone to the Grossology Exhibit at the Science Center and tried to guess what smell was coming from that little tube -- because the answer was C.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha I loved this post! I know you've put in more time as a mom than I have but I half count my nanny time and I couldn't agree more with the school thing and the 24hrs of productivity. I am SO not a morning person or a long runner and also would love for someone to tell me how to fix that. I am still losing my hair in gobs and am grateful to be thinning it out. Flat ironing is no funand doing it curly makes my face look fat! Once Steve learns to do yours we shall add that to the list he'll have to share with my husband haha. On that last one... All I can say is YUCK!

Rob, Brooke, Caleb, Sophie and Jake said...

I think about the sleep thing all the time. Did you ever read Twilight?? all I could think about through that book was the possibilities of things we could get done if we were like vampires and never had to sleep. I wish I could say I had your hair problem though!! My freakin thin hair is a nightmare sometimes- I desperately tease and hairspray and tousle just to make it look like I have slightly thicker strands...so no sympathy from me! :) Oh yeah and that science center thing is so gross! lol

Gabriela said...

I'm with you on most of your wishes. To much frizzy hair, not a morning person, although I run a lot I can't say that I just love it while I'm doing it. Would love to need less sleep. I was kind of happy my kids went back to school though. Maybe it's because we live in an apartment and they go to a private school. I might feel the same when we're back in the States.

And I've been to one of those Grossolgy Exhibits. nasty stuff. My kids giggled for days afterwards.

abbie said...

apparently our hair is identical! i would definitely recommend going with the "nice" flat iron. it makes a difference. i get my hair thinned with thinning shears (NOT a razor) pretty regularly and i'm constantly telling them, "no it's ok, you can do more." i've got plenty to spare! and ditto on the running. not my thing.

Anonymous said...

Love the post. We have the same hair. Thought it might be better getting it cut off but today I wish it was long so I could put it back in my famous pony tail. I need a good expensive flat iron because the cheap ones only work for a short period of time. I am a morning person jsut not 5 in the morning sleeping past 7 even if I go to bed a t 4 in the morning would be late for me. I would feel I have missed out on most of the day. I wish i loved to run but I hate it!! I want to love it and do it but I can't get past all the things I hate about it. One day I will conquer this one. I don't sleep very well so I don't need all that sleep everyone else does but I don't do anything either. I tell myself all the time how productive I could be if I would get up instead of laying there trying to sleep. I would love to homeschool the boys but I don't think they would pay attention to me if I tried. The things they come home with from school now days is terrible. I always wished we lived in a community with lots of kids but I am glad we don't this way I can really monitor who their friends are and what their influences are after they get home from school.

I HAVE ONE BIG WISH, I WANT TO BE A STAY AT HOME MOM!!! I MISS OUT ON SO MUCH WITH THE BOYS HAVING TO WORK SO MUCH.

I WILL PRAY THAT YOUR WISHES COME TRUE!!

Tobler Bunch said...

Great post! Very funny! I just had one quetsion in regards to your "...fairly steep..." running route. I though you lived in Florida?