Thursday, March 13, 2008

Milestones


I don't do baby books. Every milestone our kids have hit are documented on an old calendar somewhere or on the back of a Walmart receipt. Luckily for Justin we now have a blog so it can be somewhat organized for future reference.
Not so lucky for any readers of the blog. This could get boring so bear with me.

Justin is nearing the 10 month mark. At 9 months he was 20lb 10oz. Not a puny kid but not a chubbo like a couple of our other kids at his age. He's in the 50th percentile for weight and 95th for height, which I can't remember right now. He's just tall.

He has 4 teeth with 2 more arriving at any minute. His fists are shoved in his mouth on a constant basis.

Justin crawls and pulls himself up by any piece of furniture. He has let go for a few seconds at a time and has good balance. He'll be walking before we know it.

He loves music. In the car we have those Baby Einstein CD's and he listens attentively all the way through. He bobs his head or shakes his body a little once in a while.
He plays the piano, but doesn't bang. It's almost as if he knows what he's doing.


Justin eats very little compared to our other babies.
It took us a long time to get to the point we are with baby food. He will eat it on certain conditions:

1- If there is a Baby Einstein DVD playing to make him forget he doesn't like what is going into his mouth.
2- If there is an older sibling dancing or jumping like a maniac behind the person feeding him; again, to distract his senses.
3- If it's cake.

He won't eat any plain vegetables, they must be in a "meal" like "vegetable chicken" or "turkey with rice and vegetables". For snacks he likes those little Gerber Puffs, Cheerios or pinches of bread. Our other children were inhaling peanut butter and jelly and whatever we put in front of them at this point.
He likes people food but we are careful about giving him just anything, due to his digestive issues he had early on. He had blood in his poop for 2 months while we adjusted my diet to figure out he was reacting to dairy. We're slowly reintroducing it and so far so good.

Justin is a very good-natured baby. He is so interested in everything going on around him he just explores and absorbs everything. He hardly cries, mostly just whines a little when he needs something.


His favorite toys are anything with wheels or anything that spins. He likes playing with pots and pans. This activity is limited to a few minutes a day because he doesn't just beat on them, he picks them up and throws them clattering across the floor. My ears can only handle so much.

He's otherwise a quiet baby. He blows raspberries all day long. He just barely started making the "b" sound and says "boom boom" in between raspberries.

Justin is spoiled. He gets whatever he wants from us or his siblings. He usually gets put to sleep instead of put in his bed to fall asleep on his own. I hate to hear him cry.
I have started trying to train him to go down on his own and will let him fuss a little before I go in there to comfort him. I can handle the fussing but not the full-blown crying. I don't know why I have gone so soft after 4 kids. I think it has something to do with my age and nearing the end of the era of babies in our house.

I promise next time won't be so long. There was a lot to catch up on this time. :)

2 comments:

Gabriela said...

Dang, Justin and Pedro do sound alike. Pedro also "plays" the piano. And I'm the same as you, I can't let this little guy cry very long-he gets nursed to sleep. We, too are trying to work on that because I can't nurse forever.

I like his t-shirt!

And thank you for saying you don't do baby books- I thought I was the only one!!! :)

Kyle said...

Justin is adorable. I want a baby :) My friend Holly just had a baby girl on Monday. I went to see her in the hospital and was I all teary eyed and gushing over her. I love babies. Being in the hospital was dangerous for me (as far as wanting it bad!!!) By the way, I'm glad you like my country music. I have had to take off 3 songs so far that have swear words in them. Darn it!! I never remembered those words being there. Oh well, hope I didn't offend anyone!!!! Oh, and I wanted to tell you that I forgot to comment on your last post, but I thought it was hilarious. I told Kyle about it and he was laughing.