Justin is 11 months old so here are the details of his life these days:
*Weight: 21 lbs 10 oz. The nurse is very inconsistent. One month she'll weigh him in the buff and the next month fully clothed with a wet diaper. This weigh-in was the kind with clothes.
*Mobility: Crawling superfast. Walking along furniture still. Climbing on things that are low enough.
*Personality: Gets into EVERYTHING. Had a taste of a Glade Plug-In a few days ago. No permanent damage that I know of. Opens and closes cabinet doors, rarely taking anything out. He likes to see how things work. He couldn't care less about what I'm warming up in the microwave for him to eat. He just likes to see me open the door and shut it and push the buttons.
He loves rolling and chasing balls.
He played a game of hide and seek with me a couple of days ago, like he seriously knew what he was doing hiding behind the bed.
*Speech: Not saying a whole lot more than a month ago. Says "gum" with his mouth closed. Try it. It's not so easy.
He yells and squeals a lot. He imitates some sounds. He's the least talkative of any of our kids at his age.
*Behavior: Happy baby all day. Still doesn't cry much but he will not sleep through the night! sometimes waking up 3 or 4 times the last couple of weeks. To his credit, he is cutting another tooth.
*Eating Habits: Baby food is history. He eats much better than he used to. He still nurses but we'll be working on weaning this month. His favorite foods are soggy cheerios, flavored applesauce, most fruits, green beans, PB&J sandwiches. He likes water a lot!
He recently discovered beef jerky. You can tell he really likes it.

He gets his crazy face going if you take it away.

I wanted to document our concerns about Autism in case I need to reference this in the future. We've been worrried for several months about Justin's lack of babbling combined with his obsession with spinning objects (he even tries to spin our heads) along with some other quirks. It's enough to put me in a panic if I let it (and I do let it sometimes). It could be that I am overly analytical because I have an 8-year-old nephew with Autism and the heightened awareness recently has me all jittery. It could be nothing, it could be speech delay, it could be something. We've stopped all immunizations (I know, the link hasn't been proven but it hasn't been disproved either) and we are on the hunt for a new pediatrician who doesn't roll his eyes every time I ask if there's thimerasol in the shot. We'll have him evaluated (including a hearing check) at a year if he doesn't show significant speech improvement. Meanwhile I search the internet daily, hungry for stories like Justin's where everything turns out okay. At his age, all we can do is wait and see since Autism doesn't usually manifest itself until after 1 year in most kids.
4 comments:
Oh my! Keep me posted!
I love the faces he makes.
Wow, that's something. I wouldn't know what to do. Maybe it's nothing, like you said. I'm sure that you will make the best of whatever challenges will come. Like you told me once, stay strong... I think it's good that you are documenting the concerns and not just ignoring it. I have a friend that had some experiences with something like this and her kids are perfect now. I'll ask her about it, because I can't remember the details. Hang in there... you're an awesome mom!
He is so cute Janet.
Pedro is almost sleeping through the night-maybe Justin will follow suit.
Pedro is also not very verbal either-his vocab is not growing very quickly but Juan Carlos was the same way. Maybe your other kids were just really verbal and he's not. Try not to worry- :)
Post a Comment