Thursday, January 22, 2009

Punnish and Stucko

Jackson has more than one reason to hate the word 'punish' now. It was that word that knocked him out of the Spelling Bee yesterday. It was in the same round as words like 'barrel' and 'fossil' that even had me wondering if it's two S's and one L or one S and two L's.

Of course I was nervous anyway, watching from the audience in a cold sweat, having been there myself in 4th grade. I was the runner-up but I still swear to this day that I won the whole dang thing. I know I spelled my final word 'junior' right. (I just spell-checked it...☺) I'm convinced it was fixed. I'm over it though....really....

Anyway, back to yesterday. Sadie was eliminated with the word 'stucco'. The "Whatch you talkin' bout Willis?" look on her face when the reader gave her the word was priceless. She was obviously not familiar with the word, but gave it her best shot.
I'd say we were representin' with 2 kids out of 18 in the whole school that were eligible for the spelling bee and I'm pretty darn proud of them.

I should clarify one thing about my post 2 days ago about our new president. Since I basically disagree with him on every moral issue and I'm going to be less than thrilled when my taxes start going up, I probably shouldn't have said I support him because it sounded like I back him on all the issues. What I meant was that even though I don't entirely agree with him on everything and didn't vote for him, I still respect him as the president of our country.

Basically, you can't call me a Dixie Chick.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me laughing out loud with the last statement.

Melody said...

I hear ya on the President thing. I feel it is my responsibility as an American to support/respect him.

To the spelling bee - CONGRATULATIONS! What smart children you have! I have always known that though...

Gabriela said...

I still remember my 3rd grade spelling bee. Not a great showing and I am to this day I am a great fan of spell check.

Love the desription of Sadie when she received her word. :)

I'm not a Dixie Chick either.

Jeanette said...

I'll never forget the word cellar. That's what i got in 4th grade and was the runner up. Who knew which cellar they were talking about? i should have asked but i didn't. I'll never forget that word!
j