Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fall Can Come Now

It's okay now. My big project for September is over so Fall can move on in. It doesn't ever feel like Fall until we have our annual church County Fair. I'm the Enrichment Leader at our church, which means I get to plan fun, inspiring, educational and enriching activities for the women. This year we decided to make the Fair a family thing and all were invited. I thought it turned out great and was more fun than just us boring ladies.
We had a chili cook off, popcorn machine, candied apples, homemade pies and fresh churned ice cream. The highlight of the fair is the Service Auction where everyone auctions off services...like car detailing, babysitting, landscaping, swimming lessons (or even an offshore fishing trip this year!), or a handmade/homemade item...like quilts, jam, baked goodies, etc. No money is involved. Everyone bids using points they earn from filling out a questionnaire. Last year I made a bench and decided to do it again this year.



I'm going to post the 'how-to' on the Chocolate Monday blog eventually but this bench was already put together several months ago, so since I only had to paint it for the auction I don't have play by play pictures. I want to make a big one for my front porch...someday when I get around to it.

The activity is a lot of work but so worth it every year. I really liked that some of the primary kids got involved and auctioned off babysitting or yard work or some goodies they made.
I also really like my husband. A lot. He is a huge help every year. He made the ice-cream and he made a gigantic pot of chili that tied for First Place (thank you allrecipes.com). Everything runs better with a supportive spouse, I always say. Not to mention very helpful kids! And really good friends (I don't want to leave anyone out)!!
So yeah, I'm ready for Fall...meaning cooler temps and neighborhood kickball games. Speaking of, I have really been wanting to do a Block Party since we moved in here. If anyone has ever had any success with one, I would love some ideas and tips.

5 comments:

Celeste said...

It was awesome!!!! I'm glad I didn't miss it and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Gabriela said...

What a cool activity! I want a functioning ward to go to. No fair!!!

and your bench is beautiful-you are so crafty!

Anonymous said...

It was alot of fun. I love my bench from last year and can't wait ot find out actually how to make one. Looking forward to next year. Great Job as always!
Annetta

Tamara said...

I am super impressed that you MADE a bench! I also echo the feeling from the comment above about going to a functioning, fun ward! (We were notified that our ward was splitting soon, so maybe we can get another chance at it...)

Jeanette said...

will you send me the chili recipe?
j